Before the Trolls run free

I am not a Nazi in the sense of ye old Nazi Germany. I am a Nazi Nerd, a Nerd who is passionate about tech. I possess no racist qualities it's not in my nature. The nearest I get is geek chik rage. Just because you wear a pair of fucking glasses with no lenses does not mean you're intelligent, it makes you look like a fectard. And if you step up to me I'll shove your fucking iphone up your arse and hammer it in with your fecking 80's retro trainers. Just because I'm a nerd doesn't mean I can't start some shit.

Saturday 21 May 2011

Poor Apple ....

So I suppose I had to write something about the dreaded MacDefender issue.  It's been all over the news for the past 36 hours so you probably have heard all about it.



Now lets start with the first thing "WE TOLD YOU FUCKING SO".  No operating system regardless of how closed it is is impervious to attack,  thats fact.  So lets dispel some of these myths right here and see where Apple users concern should be placed.

First off,  its a piece of malware.  Woopy fucking do.  According to recent polls nearly 100,000 new peices for Windows based systems are found every day.  Now all the MacTards will say "ooo windows is so insecure".  The simple fact is the Windows community, including Microsoft, KNOW HOW TO FUCKING PLUG THESE LEAKS AND FIX THESE PROBLEMS QUICKLY.

Point and case PC Virus 2010,  this did exactly the same as the MacDefender and actually used a problem within Internet Explorer to exploit and install.  This required user intervention,  yes the pop up box "Do you wish to install this software" did require a users click.  Much less like MacDefender where you actually had to put your Admin password in.  The problem is within 73 minutes of the first cases coming through there were already security blogs posted explaining how to remove the registry keys associated with it to remove it.  Within 4 hours Spybot Search and destroy had updated files to remove it automatically.

We are now on 36 hours,  where is the response from Apple,  non.  They are openly denying and failing to offer any support to users.  Due to the closed system there are not many security experts within the Apple dev community.  This is due to arrogance.  They are probably scratching there fucking balls whilst lay arround in a pool of your money in Barbado's with big tittied ladies sucking down cocktails by the gallon.

My main problem is that I have seen countless times in the Apple store and in PCWorld the sales people telling people that Macs are invulnerable to attacks.  This is quite a major selling point,  Apple condone this,  they really need to wake up.  Start advising people to run Anti Virus,  there are a few 3rd party Anti Virus for macs about.  If they had advised this in the first place they may not be sat there with egg on there face.  Case and point a freind who works at the university of Manchester went into the Apple store,  this is what he said about his experience

"In case anyone is interested, earlier on today I called at the Apple Store in the Manchester Arndale Centre, posing as a concerned (and not particularly technical) Mac user.

I mentioned to a shop assistant that "I'd read about this Mac Defender virus on the BBC website, and was wondering if it was something I needed to be concerned about".

He mentioned to me that he'd not heard anything about any viruses or similar stuff for Macs, so it was probably nothing worth worrying about, and if Apple had found anything about it, they would have put some official information out and informed their staff about it.

I then asked him if I needed virus software for my Mac, and he said it is possible to download third party AV apps from the app store but there probably wasn't much point.

I wasn't doing it to be deliberately contrary; I didn't go in there looking for a fight (I happily use Windows, Mac and Linux) but from a professional point of view, I was intrigued to find out what Apple were telling their users in person."







Now the interesting thing about this and the question I want to ask most is that if I went in and said "look my mac is infected" obviously they would deny all knowledge,  my next question would be "So if you have no knowledge should I actually pay for the software to get it removed".  What would there answer be?

The problem these days is that most Malware is designed to extract either information or cold hard cash from the infected.  There are very few Virus's that are truly destructive like back in the 90's.  Mac users are a prime target as the machines are expensive,  by this the user has money.

Apple are all out denying a problem,  this isn't surprising as the countless machines sold on the virtue of "invulnerability" counts in the thousands.  This may actually lead to a class action lawsuit for miss selling of goods.  So from a legal standpoint they are just protecting there arse.

The problem is,  this leaves the user high and dry.  So if you have a Mac take a look at sophus,  like most windows users will tell you the best protection method is pre-emptive,  better to be safe then sorry.

For windows users I would advise 3 pieces of software that are all free and are highly recommended.

http://www.avast.com/en-gb/index Free antivirus with good sandbox protection

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html Malware and spyware removal with small footprint realtime scanner.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner Registry and system cleaner.

I would also advise obviously keeping your machine up to date,  which goes without saying.  Using this software and running regular maintenance I have not suffered any serious infection within the past 14 years.  You can never maintain 100% system security,  but with simple steps you can make it difficult for the attackers.

Sorry MacTards,  theres not really much I can offer in advice, until Apple recognise the problem and advise there users and actually give a damn about you theres not much to say.  Next time thank Mr Jobs for this shit storm by buying another brand.  Speaking with your wallet oftenly makes the big corporations sit up and listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment